Tuesday 8 March 2011

Reflux Redux

Technically, I suppose that title is a tautology... but then, I've always said I wanted to be the world's first Crusading Tautologist. I'd be like the Indiana Jones of wordplay.

But anyway.

My hip started playing up recently... or rather, my lower back did, and after a few days the pain was distilled and focused to a point behind my right hip. Consequently, I stopped taking my prescribed Lansoprazole so that I could take some Ibuprofen for the pain - that particular analgesic being contraindicated by the gastro-suppressant, and yet the only thing that ever works for muscle pain.

It's taken a few days - maybe as many as four, as I haven't really been keeping track - but I have begun to feel the acid rising again. I may take another dose of Ibuprofen tonight, then switch back to Lansoprazole tomorrow... or perhaps just go with the Deep Heat spray, which helped overnight at the weekend, and take some Lansoprazole before I retire. I should probably make my mind up soon, lest I awaken during the night with a throat full of bile.

I contacted my Pension advisor today - I haven't seen him in more than 12 years, but I've spoken to him a couple of times since first setting up my personal pension back in my second job - and have arranged to meet up with him next week, now that my job-related pension from my last position has been closed, and I need to sort out what I'm doing with the funds... Rolling it into my personal pension would be the best idea, but it's tempting to just cash it in and do something ridiculous, like take a looooong holiday.

That said, I'm going stir-crazy already... more time off is probably not a good idea, unless it's a touring holiday... something with prearranged activities. Something as far away from London as possible...

He enquired after my employment status and, when I told him I'd been made redundant back in December, he asked "So... how's daytime television?" Har har. Thankfully, I'm managing to avoid it quite nicely, unless there's a good movie on.


Also looked into driving lessons... I'm long overdue for learning... but, in the main, driving seems unnecessary... and owning a car prohibitively expensive. More insurance, more tax, petrol costs, maintenance... All kinds of crap I can really do without. And it's not as if I have anywhere to park a car...

Still feeling a bit mopey... tempting to go out to Harrow tomorrow and just throw myself into driving lessons, just so I have something to do each week...

No comments: