Wednesday 25 September 2013

A Fictionalised Account

It's rather disturbing when a dream takes a real life unpleasant situation and then cranks it up to 11.

For example, the leak into my flat is bad enough without dreaming about water streaming down the walls in my lounge (so far unaffected by water damage in real life, but possibly showing signs of damp) and getting dangerously close to the power sockets. I was also struggling with a clearly failing computer, physically identical to my real machine in every way, including all the clutter around it, while the real thing is becoming a little glitchy, possibly due to an upgrade in the antivirus software (the beginnings of the glitchiness coincided with the upgrade, and the glitchiness is limited to internet access speed, particularly when using multiple tabs).

Making matters all the more fun, while I don't normally suffer 'sequel dreams' after waking up in the middle of the night, I had a very direct follow-up in the form of dreaming about my remodelled bathroom springing a very dramatic leak (on a bright, sunny day, no less... though this part of the narrative is unreliable because a window placed where that one was would actually only show through to my kitchen) which caused the new ceiling tiles to collapse. Strangely, these 'ceiling tiles' were actually the insulation tiles we put down on my floors in the hall and bedroom, before laying the wood floor panelling. Not exactly suitable for ceilings, not least because they'd be very susceptible to water damage.

There was also - continuing the theme of weird takes on reality - a bit about the upcoming Metallica movie... I seem to recall the band deliberately started their gig in a weird sort of acoustic/'unplugged' form with very simple lighting, before the frontman called a halt to proceedings and suggested they start again... However, rather than actually starting again properly, the whole band just started larking about on stage. The frontman did a long slide down a slippery track (visual metaphor?) to a separate stage within a section of the audience made up largely of pre-teen kids who wanted to know (a) why he was there and (b) when Metallica would actually start playing.

I really don't know where that one came from... but the water damage dreams could have come from being a little feverish overnight. Not for the first time this week, I woke up in a rather soggy, sweaty bed. I've had a few minor cold symptoms lately, but it'd probably be wise to start taking preventative cold medication.

No comments: