Tuesday 2 March 2010

Remortgaging Blues

Not sure what it is about my bank but, two years ago, when I first went looking for a mortgage, they failed to return my calls for a couple of months, having agreed a mortgage in principle.

This time round it transpired that they (or rather, their mortgage arm) are offering a very good deal... So I started to proceed with them... and now they're getting jittery about my income.

Let's put this in perspective:
  • I've banked with these guys as long as I've had a bank account
  • They've been on the receiving end of my paycheque for the last 15+ years
  • For the last 5+ years they've been on the receiving end of my paycheck from my current employer
And yet they demand proof of income, not only in the form of a bank statement, but in the form of a payslip displaying the name of my employer.

And since my employer now do electronic payslips, a simple printout is not acceptable. I had to print it out on company letterhead, then get it signed and certified by my MD.

And then, my latest payslip was not acceptable. It had to be the payslip that matched the bank statement I gave them and, since I was not about to send them several pages of bank statement listing all my purchases and withdrawals over however many months (they're my bank, for crying out loud!), I had to supply a second payslip, from a couple of months ago.

I suggested to the brokers that, perhaps, if my own bank are going to be this jittery about taking on my mortgage, it might serve me better to stick with my current provider.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: