Tuesday 15 March 2011

Finality

Part of me can't quite believe I neglected to even touch on the series finale (rumoured to be The Finale) of Being Human on Sunday night. Then again, I was tired... Didn't even stay up for the end of Outcasts, but I don't think I missed much there. Yesterday I was tired from my trip to the Thames and subsequent playing of Epic Mickey for most of the evening.

I know, excuses excuses.

So, as with previous series, it came to quite a bloody end. Well, if not 'bloody' as such, there was certainly a lot of death. At one point, it looked like just about everyone would end up dead, then it looked like everyone (well, the four leads, at least) would survive... then it all got Complicated. I must say that, while the climax was clearly supposed to be quite emotional, it was nowhere near the weepie factor of the first episode of this series. Partly because the stakes (har har) didn't feel quite so high, partly because there was the creeping sensation of more going on behind the scenes.

If the rumours are true, and Being Human's planned three-series run has reached its conclusion, then it's gone out on a faintly confusing and exceedingly inconclusive note. If, in fact, there will be more next year... Well, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

On the one hand, things have escalated to the point where it would be very difficult to keep Being Human going in its current, excellent form. On the other hand, I'm one of these people who wants to know "what happens next?", and I find it incredibly frustrating that we're tantalised with such an incredible future that we're never going to see anywhere outside our own heads.

But maybe that was the point all along?

Addendum: This answers part of the question...

Popped uptown again today to meet my Pensions Advisor... I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting of this meeting, but we talked more about my current situation (work, or the lack thereof, mortgage, comparative levels of personal responsibility - I confessed to being almost jealous of his family situation, while he was jealous of my relaxing weekends - savings, my last job and the disasters that have been unfolding since around this time last year) than about my pension - either the personal pension which he administrates, or the company pension which closed with my redundancy. I have a letter to sign and return which gives him authority to deal with the company pension administrators on my behalf, but his main advice was to wait until I'm working - one way or another - before making any plans for the money they're holding.

After that meeting, I wandered up to Forbidden Planet, since it was just a short-ish walk up Shaftesbury Avenue, and was pleasantly surprised to see a far better selection of TransFormers on their shelves than has previously been on offer. Still nothing that I wouldn't find in the normal shops, and slightly more costly at that, but far more shelf-space was occupied. I toyed with the idea of picking a few things up, not only TF-related, but eventually decided against... though I did pick up a couple of Anime boxed sets - Basilisk (think Romeo and Juliet, but with ninjas) and Paranoia Agent, a recent series from the guy behind Perfect Blue. By the end of disc one (of six) of Basilisk, I had reminded myself why I dislike ninja anime - the all-too-frequently wooden acting, the portentious/pretentious dialogue, and the dull insistance on discussing special ninja techniques before unleashing them. I'm hoping the complicated romance will carry the story... but for five more discs?

I'd hoped to pick up several others but, while Forbidden Planet had the individual volumes (for about £15 a pop), the boxed sets were notable by their absence. Since the two sets I bought came to less than £60, I wasn't about to pay more than that for each series for which there were no boxed sets... which, I'm pretty sure, are available online. And, now I'm at home most days, I can afford to order online...

No comments: