Sunday 6 March 2011

Further Visitation, Or Lucid Dreaming?

In a previous posting, I mentioned having been visited on at least two occasions by something I have only been able to describe as 'a presence'.

Well, make that at least three times, as of last night/this morning.

Just for a change, I didn't stay up late to watch all the movies I'd flagged as interesting. I wanted to go to bed last night, rather than this morning, just for a change... just to see what difference it made. I actually slept reasonably well, but didn't get out of bed significantly earlier this morning owing to the 'events' of the night.

First of all, I'd liken in to Night Terrors, only without the terror. Quite the opposite, really. That said, looking at the symptoms and root causes on that linked Wikipedia page, I suspect that's precisely what it is - I've been sleeping badly for ages, and really not eating well (or regularly, sometimes getting by on one meal a day), and most of the listed characteristics of depression are present. But, hey, I know I'm depressed.

So, what actually happened?

I woke up at one point during the night/early morning to find I was not alone in bed. A familiar female form was curled up next to me, between me and the bedroom wall, with my cartoon cat neck pillow poking out behind her, and the majority of her face obscured by my pillows. The corner of a subtle smile was just visible.

I thought, for a moment, that it was a former lover... but realised that this form was slimmer, with darker hair, and the smile wasn't quite right.

Nevertheless, I tried to put an arm round her, but couldn't move. I tried to voice a protest, but what came out of my mouth wasn't really speech - I could move the air as necessary, but I couldn't shape words in my mouth... which seems similar to December's 'visit', as I recall. Somehow she understood, and I got the impression of a refusal (though not a harsh one, more a kind of "don't be silly, go back to sleep"). It's hard to be certain what happened next, but I seem to remember eventually being able to move, because we did shift positions. Part of me is ready to dismiss this as nothing more than a very lucid dream...but, normally, my dreams are not quite so geographically accurate in their representation of rooms - either in this flat, or my parents' home.

The next thing I remember with any certainty was waking up to the sound of the cleaning crew doing the vacuuming in the office space next door. That would be about 6.30am.

I woke again around 9.20, but only managed to fully awaken and drag myself out of bed an hour later. Another hour later, and I'm thinking about breakfast...

No comments: