Saturday 13 November 2010

Good Show, Joe

Though I have no wish to repeat my comments about G.I.JOE: The Rise of Cobra, it's worth mentioning that I finally managed to watch it again today, having picked it up on DVD several weeks ago... and it's still a far better movie than Revenge of the Fallen.

It stands up to repeat viewings better (at least, I wasn't finding bigger and better plot holes), it's characters have more character and it's generally better put together... and yet, next summer, we are expecting TransFormers: Dark of the Moon - third and hopefully last of Michael Bay's efforts, and yet the second in Hasbro's 'other' franchise still has only a rumour of a greenlight.

Meanwhile, tuning into another episode from the current series of Merlin, I continue to be disappointed. I caught one at my folks' place a few weeks ago, and at least enjoyed the fact that Katie McGrath's wardrobe and makeup as Morgana are far more interesting now she's officially Evil... this week, even that was a let down.

This evening, I started watching Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger, mainly for Ray Harryhausen's awesome works of stop-motion art, only to end up getting distracted by the wonders of Fan Film Follies and, more specifically, Street Fighter High. SFH: The Musical looks awesome, featuring some brilliant costumes (by actual US Cosplayers), some excellent comedy song rewrites (Juri singing Dhalsim a version of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance? Ryu aping Heath Ledger in Ten Things I Hate About You by serenading Chun Li from the football stadium stalls, while Cammy practices a cheerleading routine featuing Faith No More's Be Aggressive? Seriously, dude, what's not to like?) and plenty of in-jokes. Hell, the whole thing is a brilliant in-joke. Two episodes so far, but definitely one to keep an eye on.

Out of persistence, more than anything, I'm currently watching Blade: The Series... it's still really dull and lacking any real direction or sense of threat from either the 'good' guys or the bad. Shame, really...

No comments: