Wednesday 10 November 2010

Fuzzier Logic Than Usual

I'm at home, unwell. Mostly just a sore throat that, for once, seems unconnected to excess stomach acid. There is also an element of fever, though... And quite a bad one, if I'm any judge.

Last night, I started feeling really, really cold. I put the heating on full-time, and went to bed fully clothed, including a thick jumper. Under my not-inconsiderable duvet, I was still shivering. Come 6am this morning, I awoke with a throbbing head, and still pretty chilly, so I shuffled into the kitchen to prepare myself a Lemsip. One the way back, I picked up my cellphone, for to text my boss the glad tidings that I was heading back to bed, hoping to feel better later. She replied quickly, instructing me to stay home, and so I went to sleep.

I dreamed that I was Christmas shopping for a friend in a department store, and needed the assistance of one of the staff on a concession. She didn't seem keen on helping - fussing around the till for a good long while before finally asking me how many pages I needed. I pointed out that this was not the appropriate measure for the products I was after, but said I was aiming to buy two or three. Tapping me on the wrist, she said any and all would probably be fine for someone of my skin tone, and that I should probably just look at the displays. It was at this point that I woke up, and said - out loud, to my empty bedroom - that the intended recipient of this gift has a skin tone nothing like mine.

Then I realised where I was.

And that I was soaking wet. Don't you just love it when a fever breaks? Yuck.

Firing off a 'progress report' text to my boss, I opined "...This better fucking not be flu", but I am certain enough that it's not... After all, I'm up and about now and, aside from a still-pounding head (hello, paracetamol) and a rough throat, I'm not feeling too bad.

I did go back to sleep for another couple of hours, and had another bizarre dream where I was visiting the Dentist. A brief check of my teeth revealed that the only problem was the tooth in which I recently had an abscess. Without any anaesthetic, or so much as a by-your-leave, the Dentist pushed at it till it just popped out. So far gone was this tooth that there was no blood at all (unusual for my tooth dreams) - the gum was entirely healed over beneath a tooth that was barely making contact with the gum. Only that wasn't all that was wrong in my mouth - closing my jaw, I found a painful point and, with the Dentist holding me tightly the way one would when comforting a crying child, I fished around in my gob and found a clump of... something squishy and kind of noodle-like, only red. Extracting myself from the Dentist, I went home to look into my mouth in a mirror, and found that four veins had decided to sprout out of the back of my mouth and along the inside of my cheek, and just grow outward, joining together part-way, until they stopped. I tried to show them to a member of my family, but they seemed more interested in the television. I figured I could probably cut them out quite safely, so I started fishing around for knives or scissors... but woke up just as I was heading to the bathroom to perform this minor surgery, and my first thought was to head to the bathroom to cut these weird tendrils out of my mouth.

After realising that things were still not quite right, I fell asleep again, this time dreaming of a guy who'd been genetically altered to be able to transform his body for different purposes. He was testing himself by turning into a kind of fish-man while swimming in a system of underground caves... And he was mightily displeased, considering all the painful experiments he'd been through, to find a whole cave full of mermaids and fish-men who were all completely natural... and exhibited the myriad variations in appearance that is common to all humans.

I had no trouble separating dream from reality when I awoke from that one, as I'd merely been a spectator.

Gave myself a quick brunch of tinned fruit salad, but I suspect I'll have to venture outside to get something proper and more substancial for lunch. Certainly feeling better, but still not well... and getting chilly again, so perhaps it's time to put the jumper back on... but I'm also considering the merits of a shower...

No comments: