Sunday 20 December 2009

Some Slight Snowfall

Woke up to another incredibly bright, clear, sunny day, just like yesterday. The only difference is that it appears to have snowed ever so slightly overnight. The roads are still completely clear of snow, but the pavements have a very thin new coat.

Didn't do a great deal of anything yesterday... My mother called to say my sister and brother-in-law will be calling round today to do a pre-Christmas present swap. I got my presents to them wrapped, but consequently screwed up my timing for other things - I was thinking of heading to High Street Kensington to do some shopping/browsing, and had offered to run an errand for a friend at the nearby Notting Hill Gate Farmers' Market... but that closes at 1pm, and I wasn't ready to go out in time to get me there before that time.

There appears to be a Sherlock Holmes weekend on ITV3, possibly in honour of the upcoming Guy Ritchie movie starring Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law. There are repeats of the Jeremy Brett TV series, with rumours of 'documentaries'... not that I've seen any so far.

I'm not sure what to think of the new movie, based on what I've heard. They seem to have reinvented Holmes, taking particuler care to ignore some of his most important characteristics. I hope there's a less obvious, more sensible context for the scene in the trailer where he's tied to a bed and says something like "Don't worry, I'm a professional"... but I doubt it.

Jeremy Brett has basically ruined any subsequent attempt to portray Sherlock Holmes on screen by being utterly brilliant in that role. In the same way, Joan Hickson has ruined Miss Marple, Fry and Laurie have ruined Jeeves and Wooster. It's strange how persistently people try to remake Holmes and Marple while, thankfully, Jeeves and Wooster have been left alone after Fry and Laurie's wonderful turns.

I'll be heading over to my folks' place later - probably after lunch - and will either stay for dinner (maybe depending on what my sister and brother-in-law are doing) or rush back and do some late shopping to restock my fridge. That said, it might be better to leave that till tomorrow.

No comments: