Thursday 24 December 2009

So Far, So Good (With Caveats)

So here's the thing: The new PC is basically up and running, it's nice and fast, and the large monitor is wonderful (though, seriously, why are we stuck with the Widescreen aspect ratio these days? The salesman said they're very hard to find, and there certainly weren't any on display, that I saw).

But there's a 'but...'

And it's all the frickin' software.

The terms of the Windows license agreement border on the perverse. I'm sure it's all necessary and nothing to really worry about, but it basically says "Windows (or Microsoft) may periodically revalidate via the internet". Media Player now requires that you agree to have your usage of Media Player monitored (I've found a better alternative, though, so that's not really a problem).

And then there's the whole "Register/Validate/otherwise connect with the software vendor online" thing.

What is the obsession with having every computer in the world connected to the internet?

I've realised now that I can't even install most of the games I've got, because they require internet connections to validate the installations.

It's bizarre.

But, hey, it's working... Just need to transfer over some decent antivirus/firewall/etc software (the salesman recommended Kaspersky... I shall have to check on that, as it's another 'Internet Security Suite', and my experience of McAfee and Norton have put me off full suites.

The few things I've tested so far work nicely enough, but I'll have to check things like DVD writing before I'm completely happy...

No comments: