Wednesday 23 December 2009

The More Plans Change, The More They Stay The Same

OK, so I went out laptop shopping, and came back with a mini tower.

Price was the obvious factor - for the same cost as a decent laptop (which, let's face it, is going to be pretty small and fairly limited in terms of what can be attacted), I got a mini tower with integrated card readers (SD, Sony Memory Stick, Compact Flash and xD), 6 USB ports (2 up front, 4 at the back, with proper keyboard and mouse ports, so I'm not wasting 2 USB ports straight away), and a decent integrated graphics card (though the guy in the shop reckoned it wouldn't necessarily be enough for gaming).

Oh, and a 23-inch widescreen monitor.

Yeah, that's 23-inch widescreen.

And, you know what? I might not even connect this sucker to the interwebs. How about keeping the laptop for internet and transferring files (when necessary) via USB memory things or DVD?

I'll probably get it online eventually but, till this laptop dies, I see no reason to retire it.

Christmas is now possibly moving to my Grandmother's flat, just to preserve some semblance of her routine. It has been observed that she doesn't do well if she's taken out of her familiar bubble, and that she doesn't like staying overnight with my parents. This will probably work out better all round, as it's less likely we'll be hanging around there too long after dinner.

I also picked up a cool card for a friend, but then left it in my mother's handbag when we brought the new computer to my place. Dur.

No comments: