Wednesday 12 January 2011

Voices of a Distant Star

Many years ago, back when I was last 'doing' Internet Dating, I did have one success story... Almost. I met an amazing young woman from the States, who was sparkling company, utterly beautiful and intelligent to the point where I wasn't entirely sure I was keeping up with her. This is a rare combination, in my experience.

Though I could hazard several guesses, I've never been entirely sure why it went wrong but, for whatever reason, she stopped returning my calls and responding to emails a little more than a week after telling me she felt like she'd hit jackpot with me... and the day after telling me she thought we'd gone too far, too soon. It's not even as if I consider that to be 'mixed signals'... turns out, I agree. I can only say that it felt right at the time.

Cut to now, God only knows how many years later (seven? eight?) and I get an email from her, both to my personal account and my Hotmail account. Well, I say 'an email from her', but it was actually just a Facebook invitation.

I've always wondered what would happen if she turned up again... and, going by my reaction to the email, the answer is most likely 'go into cardiac arrest'.

I replied.

I don't believe for a moment I'll get a response. Pretty sure I gave up hoping for that some years ago.

No comments: