Tuesday 21 April 2009

Shelved

Today was the day that my B&Q shelves were delivered... and, as is becoming common, nothing really went according to plan.

They were unable to specify a time between 8am and 6pm, but had told my mother they'd phone an hour ahead of delivery. That would give my folks ample time to get over to help my get the stuff upstairs, because B&Q don't deliver to your door if you're in a flat.

I'd booked the day off work, so there would be no trouble - my folks can't always get over here early enough to take care of a 8/9am delivery, for example - but was intending to go into work if the stuff arrived at a reasonably hour.

I'd had a terrible night, having picked up my sister's cold last week but, after a dose of cold-cure, felt quite reasonable until the afternoon, when I took to napping.

To fill in the time when I wasn't napping, I tried some sketching - didn't get very far - researching maps for my videogame plan, and then playing and old Saturn action RPG called Virtual Hydlide, to see if it made any more sense now.

I'm honestly not sure how far I got back when I bought it, but - with the aid of some tips found online - I managed to complete the first three quests quite easily.

Partway through, my doorbell rang... and it turned out to be B&Q. I told one of the deliverymen that I'd expected a phone call before they arrived, and was told that their instructions didn't have that box ticket, as it were. Oh well. They were nice enough to bring it all up to the flat - three shelves, five mountings and 15 brackets. A swift call to my parents, and they were on their way to get things started.

It didn't all happen, unfortunately. My father's drill bit set didn't include the right diameter, and the size below was far too small for the plugs. My folks are planning to come back tomorrow, buy the right drill bit, and finish the job. I should be able to start stacking my books when I get home.

What we did get done - after much struggle - was the mounting of my knife rack. Who knew the tiles I'd chosen were such heavy-duty stuff. Not only are they thick, but they needed the strongest drill bits my father had... and even then, it took ages to drill through the tiles.

I think that's about all from me... I'm definitely not feeling well right now, and I really need to be better for my Press Day tomorrow.

Oh, and of course it's my father's birthday tomorrow...
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: