Thursday 27 December 2007

Weirdness

While I am not inclined to see it as in any way sinister, I was nevertheless disturbed when, at about quarter past three this morning, I was awoken by the sound of someone shuffling in my bedroom doorway.

After a while of this shuffling, I was awake enough to turn over and see who it was. I said a bleary 'hello' to Mother's Mother, then repeated the greeting as it seemed she hadn't understood.

"Oh," said she, "I've come the wrong way... Where's the other room?"

Not sure whether she meant the room she was staying in or the bathroom, I asked "Which other room?"

When she clarified that she meant the spare room, I pointed her in the right direction, and she left.

I tried to go back to sleep, but the episode left me feeling very uncomfortable. She had been standing silently in my doorway for at least a minute... That's easily long enough to determine that she wasn't in the right room, even ignoring the huge difference in size and layout...

...And then, where had she come from? The spare room is the first she would have come to from the bathroom, while mine is the third. Had she come from the spare room intending to find the bathroom, she'd gone the wrong way. Even if she was remembering the layout of her own flat, rather than this house, she'd still gone completely the wrong way...

There was no sense to it at all.

And then another thing started to bother me, as I finally slipped back to sleep: Normally her voice quavers with age and nerves, but it was rock steady at 3.15am when she was in completely the wrong place.

But, like I said, I'm not inclined to see it as in any way sinister...

No comments: