Tuesday 25 December 2007

Christmas Day Blog #1

As in, the official "My Christmas Day Experiences" thang.

Well, it's half past one, and it's already pretty excruciating. Present from Grandmother: Terry Pratchett's Making Money. Present from parents: BBC Radio's Batman: Knightfall series on remastered CD. My mother made very sure I understood that this was an extra gift, because they'd already got me my winter coat and new raincoat (despite the fact that I'd repeatedly made it clear I intended to buy at least a winter coat for myself).

Very little conversation has happened. There isn't a great deal to talk about (apart from office politics, which aren't exactly appropriate Christmas conversation), and what little we do talk about just doesn't penetrate Grandmother's Alzheimer's. She's already asked twice what one of my father's presents is, and if he keeps playing with it (and, since it's a tool, that kinda goes without saying) she'll probably ask again.

She's asked me if I'm "in the same place" work-wise, to which I replied that the company had moved to West Kensington. Moments later, she asked if it was the same kind of work... She doesn't remember what the work is, or anything much about the magazines (despite having several brought to her over the last few years, most of which have my name listed quite prominently). It is at once heartbreaking and utterly frustrating. People at work often praise me for my patience when training people, but I have no patience for people who will not or cannot remember anything I tell them... Which puts me in a very uncomfortable position with ailing family members.

In the grey silences, Grandmother has popped out of the room (twice) to ask my mother if she needs help with anything, and it was only by chance that the second time perfectly coincided with the need to lay the table.

Either that, or my mother was just being polite... Either way, she made no mention of the previous enquiry.

Helen and Mark are coming round tomorrow, so today is liable to be pretty darned quiet. I honestly don't expect tomorrow to be much better, but at least there will be some conversation that won't be continually repeated... and it won't be as quiet.

No comments: