Wednesday 17 June 2009

Note to Self:

Using housekeys to open stubborn lids is a BAD IDEA.

So here's the thing: Yesterday, I got in touch with Harroow Council and ordered by replacement bin. I was told it'd arrive in 3-10 working days.

It arrived this morning. Hurrah, right?

Well, yes, except inasmuch as I haven't got any labels for it yet, so I had to paint my flat number on it again. I took down a brush and a pot of paint that was lying around in the bathroom, and then realised that I should probably have opened the paint while I was upstairs, and had access to tools because, standing by the bin, I had only the contents of my pockets... Specifically, my flat keys.

There I was, inadvisedly using said keys as leverage to open a plastic pot of paint, and I noticed that I'd managed to bend one... the key to my front door. I tried to bend it back, with some success and so, having painted my number on my shiny new bin (and it seems the word 'black' is taboo at Harrow - I'd call it a black wheelie bin, they refused to acknowledge it as anything other than grey), I came back upstairs.

...And my key didn't fit in the lock anymore.

Shit.

Everything I have that might be used to straighten a key is inside.

Except... Maybe...

One of my birthday presents was a potted strawberry plant. Quite a weighty pot. So I jammed the key underneath it and pushed down, hoping to flatten it out.

And, being a very fortunate soul, it worked. With my key straightened, I re-entered my flat, and immediately went to my front windows to check that my bin was still there. And it was.

Still is.

Phew.

But, yes, gentle reader, if ever you are tempted to use keys as leverage to open something, rather than using them as intended, to unlock things... Remember this tale, and how it could so easily have gone terribly wrong (who knew a plastic paint pot lid would be stronger than a metal key? Who makes these damned pots?! How much longer would I have been trying to use it before it broke?), and think again. Keys are not tools for opening pots.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: