Monday 15 June 2009

The Day Before 35

Well, here comes another milestone (millstone?)

Tomorrow is my 35th Birthday... This seems to be the age at which one must have achieved some level of satisfaction with one's life, because so many folks seem to dread it (when younger) or look fondly upon it (when older).

I have to admit, I just don't feel 34 years and 364 days old. Whenever younger folks at work have asked me what it's like to be my age (how pathetic they sound, as if they doubt they'll ever last that long, and want some wizened insights from an aged oracle such as myself), I tell them - in all honesty - that it's just like being 17, but I'm probably fitter now than I was then.

Now, I have reason to doubt myself on that last part every so often. I have more aches and pains, I've never been able to run far, and I'm fairly sure some things have become heavier while I've not been paying attention... but, on the whole, that's an accurate assessment of what it's like to be me at my age.

What they'll feel like at my age is anyone's guess, considering the amount of alcohol they put away.

But anyway.

I'm about to be 35, I own my first home, and I'm bloody good at my job. I'm about to be an uncle (OK, that's a rather vicarious achievement).

I haven't been published - either as a writer of fiction or in the form of a videogame - but I have ideas and (most days) some inclination to do something with them. The least I can do is get on with this darned blog!

I need to sketch more... I'm getting rusty and, thereby, losing confidence in my ability.

Tomorrow, I'll be popping over to my folks for lunch, and to pick up a few bits and bobs that I left over there last week, with the intention of picking them up during the week, as I transfer more of my models over to the flat.

Of course, the Tube strike put paid to that idea, as the amount of traffic meant that detours to my folks' house would have been a nightmare. This week is also possibly looking a little unlikely, if only because I'm off work, and so won't have access to a car to get me home.

Other than this, what's been happening?

Well, last week's trip to the cinema with my folks was pretty excellent. Star Trek was just as good the second time round, and my parents really enjoyed it. They liked the original, but weren't so attached to it (not least because they hated Shatner) that they objected to anything in the reboot.

Terminator: Salvation turned out to be a decent addition to the franchise, introducing a prototype Terminator and the young Kyle Reese. I heard that they have plans for a fifth and sixth installment of the franchise assuming this one is successful... but I'd say it can only get creepy from here. Remember the first film? Kyle Reese said that he'd been given a photo of Sarah Connor by John Connor... He fell in love with that image and so volunteered to go back in time, chasing a Terminator, to protect her, and thereby became John Connor's father. Now Older John and Young Kyle are together, we're going to have to see how that photo changed hands... It didn't seem to matter so much when John Connor was just a name from the future, and Kyle Reese was played by Michael Biehn... but now John Connor is grown man, and a character we've followed for three films, and Kyle Reese is a teenager. It just gets creepier the more you think about it.

That'll be all for the moment... I have things to do today that I really shouldn't put off...
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: