Tuesday 25 December 2007

Christmas Day Blog #2

Lunch was mercifully brief and, as with the morning, rather quiet. Food was pretty good - Turkey, dry cured gammon, cocktail sausages and mixed (rather soggy) veg all round, and the requisite Christmas Pudding though, while everyone else had a seafood/shellfish starter, I had a mixture of Italian meats.

Not sure what caused it but, over the years, I have grown a dislike of seafood, and shellfish in particular. Prawn cocktail used to be the staple Christmas starter in this household... but some years ago, I found I couldn't stomach it anymore. The flavour and texture no longer appealed, not matter how much sauce I used.

The Christmas Pudding really was good, though... and while I always need to drench it with cream to cover the sharpness, it tasted good, didn't leave my throat burning, and didn't clog up my mouth.

Grandmother asked (for the second time so far) if I had any holiday plans for the coming year and, again, I gave half an answer. Taking a holiday would be nice (BotCon, though I'm not sure Cincinnati has much else to offer as a holiday destination) but I'd rather just move out of home.

After lunch, it was back to the living room for The Queen's Christmas Message (also mercifully brief) followed by a documentary on the fifty years she's been doing it on television.

Of course that lead into All Star Family Fortunes, with Vernon Kay, so I'm back at the keyboard. Sometimes I wish they'd just shut down television for Christmas, rather than serving up the usual rubbish.

On the upside, I did see a short trailer for the winter season on ITV2, including The Bionic Woman, starring an ex-Eastender and the new Starbuck. Looks quite promising.

No comments: