Thursday 26 July 2007

Further inclement weather

At some point this afternoon, with this morning's headache still clinging on, I went to sleep for a couple of hours. Part holiday lethargy, part reaction to the late nights I keep having because I don't have to get up in the mornings, and part reaction to the soothing sound of the torrential rain outside.

Yes, it's still happening.

The last time I looked out of my window prior to succumbing to sleep, I could just about make out the houses across the road, but nothing beyond. OK, so the houses 'across the road' at my stretch of the road are about 80ft of garden further away than normal, but that doesn't change the fact that it was pretty heavy rain. Visibility of about 100-150ft is bad news all round, and I pity anyone who was out in it.

And yet we're not flooded around here. I really must take a look at the canal sometime, to see how that's holding up in this weather. Didn't seem out of the ordinary last week, and the rain we had then was much heavier than this week, so I'd guess our antiquated waterways are functioning well enough.

Anyway, when I woke up after my little nap, the headache was gone. Strangely, I did have a cold sweat on my brow which, while not particularly unusual with a headache, tends to suggest it was much worse that it felt at the time...

I spent a little time in the remainder of the afternoon painting some detail onto my TF Movie Barricade and Frenzy. Cosmetic details on the former, and a complete silver coating for the latter, to make him more presentable. It's quite a shame that Hasbro didn't go the extra mile in decorating these things, considering the effort that went into realising them for the movie. The models are are pretty darned good, considering their size, but the paintwork is sparse and frequently inaccurate. It's interesting to note that a fan recently repainted a whole bunch of movie toys and then sold them on eBay, netting himself somewhere not far off $4000, which then funded his trip to the San Diego Comic Con. My paintwork is nowhere near as good, but it's good enough for my collection... I'd quite like to paint up most of the models, just to improve on their plainness, but my brushwork is rather haphazard and, frankly, I'm too lazy to really get into it. Photos of those painted models were equal parts inspiring and disheartening... and I just end up wishing I could buy them looking like that.

No comments: