Thursday 5 July 2007

Preparations

Off to Memorabilia after work tomorrow. MP3 player charged, bag packed, tickets at the ready.

Today at work was pretty crappy... Had a small set-to with the Senior Copy Controller over a job that got passed to me with absolutely no logging of details like "Salesperson requested change X to client's template" or "Client countermanded salesperson's request" or even "Copy controller fucked up the requested changes". As far as the 'rules' and procedures go, I got the impression I was in the wrong expecting this sort of thing to be noted. 'Rules' and procedures are one thing... then there's common flippin' sense.

Senior Copy Controller suggested that "we don't have time" to do the job thoroughly and properly. I pointed out that they always have time to chat... perhaps both of those issues need to be addressed.

Additionally, it transpires that two of our designers have been wandering into the Publishing Director's office to complain that they "have nothing to do". If that's the case, then we are surely overstaffed. It was unwise of them to tell the PD anything like that without first asking their line manager if there was anything to be done... There's always something to do in any Production Department.

I am becoming seriously fed up with the "don't have time" excuse. Back in my early days in this field, I'd have been slaughtered for coming out with something like that... And I've never been known to sit around yapping when I should have been working. Were it not against employment law, I'd like to see most of them sacked tomorrow. They are all lazy, whiny little wasters who would be very hard pressed to find another job elsewhere, and some of them even know this to be true... which is why it's all the more infuriating that we're saddled with them.

The Classifieds team have a new manager who, on his first day, got that band of rowdy kids to tidy up their playpen... No more crap strewn across the floor now and, boy, have they been quieter since he arrived? Still no sign of the call monitoring board, but I do hope it's coming.

Tomorrow is one of my deadline days, and my boss has one on Monday while my counterpart is signed off work due to pneumonia. It's not going to be a particularly pretty day, but we shouldn't be too late. I already have some of the editorial through, but my machine is flaking out (due to new software and font issues) so I may end up using my counterpart's to push the work through.

I'll be glad of the weekend... and Memorabilia should be fun. If nothing else, it'll be good to be out of the house for a couple of days. Who knows what I'll find at the show.

No comments: