Tuesday 3 July 2007

Beatmix Bumblebee ROCKS MY SOCKS!

It's one of those things. Me and consumer technology just don't mix for the most part. I loathe iPods, cellphones and PlayStation. Even gimmicky digital watches, once guaranteed to have me reaching for my wallet (two frikkin' versions of Casio's WatchCam!), have lost their lustre and I'm currently wearing an analogue.

So when Beatmix Bumblebee was first announced, I just rolled my eyes, and made a mental note to make snide remarks whenever I saw it.

Oh, folly.

When first I saw him I thought he was far too cute to pass up. It's actually a fairly good Super Deform model of movie Bumblebee with a very well sculpted face. So it doesn't transform, how could I refuse those big, cute eyes?

I'll cut to the chase: Currently he's 'energising himself' playing Jane's Addiction's most recent album Strays... and he's really grooving. He does pause oddly at times (I plugged him into the TV during the title music for CSI earlier, and he doesn't seem to like The Who), but the overall effect is definitely cute and fun. I can imagine him being a blast at kids' parties. His eyes light up with superbright blue LEDs, his chest and doors light up red/green and twitch up and down, a button on his chest glows green when he's recording (odd little snapshots of music or whatever that he'll play back later), his head bobs from side to side, and he twists at the waist every so often.

Not sure you can say any of it is exactly 'in time to the music', but these things aren't an exact science... He's very sweet, and could easily be staying on my desk for a while...

No comments: