Wednesday 20 April 2011

The Unexpected

I had a visit today from a representative of my Managing Agents, who had popped round to look at the damp patches on my hall and bathroom ceilings. Not my usual contact, and she seemed a little surprised that no-one had thought to inform me of her intention to visit, but she announced herself as 'the surveyor'.

I gave her a potted history of the place, we discussed the 'ongoing situation' with the roof, and she suggested that all they really need is (a) enough people to complain about leaks and (b) for those same people to fund the refit, if they haven't paid up already.

Which is the usual state of play.

She did seem very concerned that some of the signs of damp are particularly close to my fusebox, but whether that will have any effect on the alacrity with which any action is taken, I have no idea. They can't afford to get the roof redone until the ground floor businesses have paid their share of the maintenance charge, or until the landlord decides to pay the not inconsiderable sum himself. As she departed, she handed me her card "just to prove I've been here".

It's one of those things, though... once it's done, it will either solve or avoid so many of the other problems in this building, it should reduce other costs for quite some time... But it is a huge outlay in the short term.

After she'd gone, I took a quick trip down to my local Sainsbury's to restock on other stuff... only to find upon my return that I'd forgotten something reasonably important.

But, hey, I got some hot cross buns.

I've got a fair bit further in Metroid: Other M recently, having been playing on and off over the last week or so. Many bits still fox me, but it's really just a case of keeping an eye out for alternate routes, and remembering all the best moves for each situation. I'm in the icy section right now and, aside from reaching a point where my path is blocked in a way that I cannot fix right now, I seem to be doing pretty well. A quick glance at a Let's Play video, and I'll be back on track soon.

No comments: