Wednesday 20 April 2011

Niece News

I heard from my sister yesterday evening... Her birthday is coming up soon, and it seems no-one knows what to get her. The topic of 'shoes' came up during her last visit to our folks, but - last I heard - she hadn't actually made a selection.

She phoned me because she'd actually had an idea of what I could get her - or rather, what I could do for her - for her birthday. She's keen to see the movie 'Red Riding Hood', and her husband isn't. She's going to be around for the weekend soon and, assuming the movie is still playing, I'm going to take her to see that. It's not something I'd normally see but it seems to be a reasonable attempt at making a movie of the fairy tale... Albeit with added Twilight.

And since I'm not completely cheap, I'll take her to dinner as well.

It seems my niece is developing a fondness for cars and motorcycles (their neighbours have scramblers!), and I opined that such fondness should make it easier for me to corrupt her into liking TransFormers. My sister gasped, and recounted a tale which put a big grin on my face...

I donated my Plushie 'Slumblebee' to my niece shortly after she got out of the hospital (keeping Softimus Prime for myself because I'm not that generous) and, so the story goes, she had only ever seen it in one form or the other. One day recently, in an effort to distract her from a tantrum, my sister transformed it in front of her. At first, I'm told, she looked distressed... after all, to turn robot Slumblebee into car Slumblebee, you basically rip his back open and stuff him into himself... but, once she realised what she had witnessed, she was entranced.

Oh, yes.

Score one for the TransFormers geek.

I mean, considering how she goes through the folks' cupboards, removing Russian dolls and wooden bobbins and hundred year old miniature china teapots, I figure it's only a matter of time before she starts raiding my cupboards on the rare occasion that she visits me...

And I do have such wonderful toys on display...

No comments: