Thursday 21 April 2011

On Caffeine

Or rather, off it.

I must confess that I did have one glass of Diet Pepsi yesterday (possibly the day before) because, having drained an entire bottle of one of those 'own brand' flavoured fizzy water drinks, I felt I needed something with a bit more kick.

Overall, though, and barring that weekend illness I had, I'm feeling none the worse for steering clear of caffeine. I can't be certain whether it's helped my sleeping, as such - I'm still having some trouble getting to sleep in the first place - but it's certainly helping with the mornings.

Typically, when all is well, I'll wake up when there's enough sunlight filtering through my curtains. Since it's now Spring-heading-for-Summer, that tends to be anywhere between 6am and 7am... and, over the last few days, that's the sort of time I've been waking up. Since I don't need to get up that early at the moment, I'd not getting out of bed till I wake up the second time - around 9-10am.

But the point is, I could wake up and get up - quite naturally, and without the aid of an alarm clock - in the morning proper, rather than anywhere between 11am and 1pm, as had been the case while I was regularly downing 2 litres of caffeinated beverage inside of two days.

I'm also finding it slightly easier to motivate myself to do things around the house (putting the laundry on, hanging it out to dry, then actually putting it away; doing the dishes; tidying shelves... not much luck with writing or drawing yet, but hopefully that'll happen too) so I'm not living in a complete sty. I mean, it's not pristine - this is me I'm talking about, and I haven't had a complete change of personality when it comes to tidiness... but I don't have a kitchen full of dirty dishes and a bathroom full of dry washing that's still on the rack.

I suspect this means I should limit myself to one glass (two at most) of Diet-Doctor-Mountain-Pepsi--Pepper-Dew-Max-Zero a day... which will sure make the two-and-a-half bottles I have in my fridge last longer.

No comments: