Saturday 16 December 2006

Pertinent Questions

Got into one of those discussions yesterday evening. Odd questions that got me thinking... So here they are for the world to ponder.

1. What was the most beautiful sunset you've ever seen?
This would have to be the one I saw on holiday in Florida, from the deck of a schooner. It was an evening out while in Key West, and I was with a group of other holiday makers, and my old mate Paul. On another evening, we'd been near the docks, and seen people crowding to see the sunset. As the sun disappeared below the horizon, those stood watching began to clap. I didn't quite understand why until I saw it from the schooner. It's not just any old sunset.

2. What was the most beautiful sunrise you've ever seen?
Well, this is more difficult. As one who likes to lie in wherever possible, I don't tend to see too many sunrises... in fact, I can't remember seeing any. If I have seen any, they've been from my bedroom window, from a train, or from an office window, and none would really count as 'beautiful'.

3. What is the most beautiful piece of music you've ever heard?
And this one pretty much ended the stream of questions, because I don't listen to music in that way. No piece of music in and of itself has even got me teary-eyed in any sense. When I listen to any music, I tend to start mentally separating out the instruments and analysing how the sounds interact to make the music. As such, describing something as 'beautiful' would be very difficult. That said, I could probably come up with something if I sifted through my entire music collection... so maybe I'll add an answer later.

Work yesterday went remarkably well... Our largest title went out on time, and without any apparent hitches. It's amazing how easy things can be when you have intelligent and diligent staff. For a change.

No comments: