Wednesday 27 December 2006

It's probably just S.A.D., but...

One of the most annoying aspects of winter - and particularly the Christmas Holiday - is that, while one has ample time for 'getting on with things', either the inclination to do so just ain't there, or the condtions are all wrong.

It is, for example, my tradition to take photos of anything that forms part of my Collection, so that I may post them up on my website or, occasionally, here. I was hoping to photograph my Christmas haul (and possible do some more stereoscopic photography) yesterday, but the sky was overcast, so there wasn't enough light to photograph anything well (and I do so hate flash photography!). The low light also meant that I didn't want to start sketching, and the overall lowering of my mood thanks to this meant that I didn't get any writing done... be it story or emails (some of which I really should have written more than a week ago).

Instead, I pulled out a couple of my recently acquired DVDs - Pom Poko and Whisper of the Heart - with the intention of watching one (or both) to while away some time. Typically, I ended up getting so drowsy, I stopped Pom Poko, put my head down, and soon went to sleep. How crap is that? I couldn't even watch a DVD.

I woke up around 3pm, to the sound of our next door neighbour talking loudly (as she ususally does). I seem to recall that she was given tickets for a trip to Italy sometime around Christmas, so this could mean that she's on her way tonight, or just back today.

The next thing that struck me was, looking out of my window, the sky had cleared and I could see sunshine... Just in time for sunset. Even with a clear sky, there wasn't quite enough light for photography (not without whacking up the gain on the camera, which sometimes causes graininess). Now, about an hour later, the sun is sinking below the horizon (it's still cloudy over there, but things are definitely getting darker). Another day, another missed opportunity.

All of this probably wouldn't be so bad if I could use tomorrow - after all, with the skies clearing today, there's a good chance tomorrow will be clear as well - but I'll be heading off to Swindon with my folks to visit my sister and her husband in their new house. We'll be staying overnight and coming back sometime on Friday, which mean the next likely opportunity I'll have for any photograpy will be Saturday. One way or another, this whole week will have been a write-off for 'getting on with things'.

If I'm sensible, I'll take along my sketch pad and make a start on Look, Monkiez! so the time isn't completely wasted... because I feel quite sure that we'll end up sitting around watching television for the most part.

In other news, I've just taken the plunge and moved over to the new Google Blogger thing... So far, so similar... But I'm aiming to make changes to my template. Watch this space.

No comments: