Thursday 12 June 2008

Ticking along

One way or another, things appear to be progressing at work.

Nobody so far has said anything (that I've heard) about missing the Senior Designer who's no longer with us (the other may or may not stay on briefly as a standard level designer). Bizarrely, though, one of my designers confessed to missing the Senior Copy Controller, who's been out of the office for most of a month due to the ongoing behind-the-scenes political wranglings. It's bizarre largely because he didn't liker her much... and I hadn't realised she liked him particularly, or would really notice his absence.

It is often pointed out to me that I'm a little strange... and, at least nine times out of ten, I can't understand why it is that I'm 'strange' and everyone else is 'normal', because 'normal' just seems so weird or so dumb.

For example, one of the editors at work is supposedly considered attractive "because she has nice breasts". I can honestly say that I have never bothered looking that far down, and that I consider her completely unattractive for many reasons, none of which are physical. She cries at the least provocation, she's a complete snob (despite not exactly being premium stock), and she's too dumb to realise that she's completely out of her depth, and should never have been appointed as an editor.

My boss pointed out that I have never described anyone's attractiveness (or lack thereof) in terms of physical attributes, which is entirely true... though that's not to say I don't notice them, just that they're not foremost on my mind.

Why does that make me strange, rather than the guys who focus on breasts or legs or whatever?

No comments: