Thursday 5 June 2008

One of those days

OK, so waking up at after 10 in the morning was never going to be a good start to the day.

With my flat purchase seemingly progressing another notch, my mother has been making suggestions. Yesterday there was more confusion than was warranted over which slice of my savings I should put into my deposit (eventually settling on closing down an ISA and one whole savings account, and funnelling the results into either an existing savings account or a new one set up for the purpose).

Yesterday, she wanted to talk detailed financial logistics before I'd had breakfast.

This morning, while I was still in bed, she knocked on my door and 'suggested' that it would be "good to get [the ISA closed down] this week". I agreed - it's not as if that was something I hadn't considered and, in actual fact, I'd planned to do it today. All I needed, as is standard with these things, is my passport and a bank statement or bill as means of identification.

Sometime later, she announced that she was off shopping, just as she has every other day this week - one trip per day for her mother, possibly followed later by another for our own household shopping. She'd not normally be out long for either.

After I got out of bed, got showered and dressed, I went downstairs and found a note stuck to my ISA's account book, to the effect that I'd need to take that, my passport and a bank statement or bill as means of identification.

Well, duh. That sounds familiar.

Awkwardly, I have no idea where my passport is. They're all stored together (or so I thought), somewhere in a mess of overstuffed drawers that I have no hope of ever navigating.

I tried anyway.

I noticed that my mother's passport is not stored with the rest. It was actually out of the drawers, as she was in the midst of getting the passports ready for updating, because they expire this year.

And, typically, she's been out shopping far longer than normal today. She may well have her cellphone with her, but she's not going to be able to tell me where the passport is because those drawers are completely crammed in no particular order. Even though she knows, broadly speaking, where they are, she still has to look for them herself.

So, basically, I wasted a couple of hours of the morning sleeping, and she's wasted three more hours of my time - so far - because she hadn't either indicated where the passport is, or just got it out and ready.

I could have done all kinds of other stuff with my day so far, and I've just spent it getting progressively more annoyed that, on the rare occasion she communicates with me, she communicates only the most useless crap.

No comments: