Monday 25 June 2007

Bidding

As in 'farewell to some money' and 'welcome to some new cool stuff courtesy of an eBay auction'.

Certain people are going to roll their eyes and point out that, in my life, this sort of thing is all too typical but, not long (16 days, to be precise) after I describe my purchase of Shadowhawk Cosmos Type thusly:
"I bought this largely because of its rarity and because it is FAR cheaper than second-hand buying the 2006 BotCon repaints as Buzzsaw and Laserbeak, so this one mitigates my feelings of terrible loss :P"
fully expecting to never see said BotCon repaints except at horribly extortionate prices, I find them and BotCon 2006 Tigatron (aka 'Unit 1') in eBay auctions.

Obviously I had to bid.

And, for most of this week, I was WAY ahead of other bidders (some of whom clearly were not serious). It was only yesterday and today that I met anything like stiff competition... And the only reason I had to increase my bids (yes, roll those eyes again, why don't you) was that I didn't follow my own advice. I didn't start out bidding the most I'd willingly pay for those models, I just bid what I expected to get away with.

As usual, the last minute snatch-and-grab bidders came along this evening (with only a couple of hours to go!) and almost stole away my prize.

But 'almost' ain't good enough. Heheh.

I must admit, I don't necessarily feel that I've been entirely sensible... They're sought-after... but perhaps not utterly necessary additions to my collection (OK, not until I can properly display the BotCon 2006 boxed set). Still... Me and limited editions... I can go a little crazy sometimes.

And, frankly, considering how fortunate I was to find them at all, considering how long I will often go without ever bothering to check eBay, it'd be daft not to put in an offer... and even more daft not to win if I can afford to. It is often observed (not always by me) how fortunate I am, in many ways. This seems to be a very tangible example.

I shall consider it my treat to me, ahead of the summer Memorabilia next weekend. I've hardly bought anything these last couple of shows (Memorabilias and the London Expos), so it probably evens out in some vast, cosmic sense.

Yeah, right.

In other toy news... My TF Movie toys list now looks a bit more like this:

Leader
Optimus Prime
Megatron

Brawl

Voyager
Blackout
Ratchet
Ironhide
Starscream

Thundercracker

The addition of Megatron should be fairly obvious, considering I've wittered on about painting him (and, having seen the similar efforts of others, I may well end up painting the whole darned thing), but Ironhide and Starscream I snagged last week on a visit to Toys'R'Us. My boss decided it'd be cool to visit three different branches after work in a three day period, which turned out to be more worthwhile than I'd expected. Still no sign of the new Deluxes... but, if all else fails, there's always Memorabilia...

In other, other news... Work isn't great. My boss is having to cover my counterpart's workload as he's off with pneumonia, so things aren't necessarily as smooth as they might be. That said, she picks up on far more potential problems with artwork than he would, so it's all swings and roundabouts. The nest of vipers is hissing as always, and far too many of them are showing what utter bastards they are. Just goes to show, it's one thing to hang out with colleagues... but utter stupidity to call them 'friends'.

One last thing before I sign off... Doctor Who.

Now, I count myself among the many fans who are glad the series is back, and being taken seriously by those who work on it... but, let's face it, John Simm just isn't the Master. Just as David Tennant's Doctor is just 'Mr Shouty Indignant', Simm's Master is... well... a clown. He's Doctor Evil from the Austin Powers movies. I was so thrilled at the prospect of Derek Jacobi playing the Master that I didn't consider the possibility that he might only be playing it as a bridge to a newer, younger Master to go up against the newer, younger Doctor. Who would? If you cast someone like Derek Jacobi, why would you ever want to kill him off and regenerate him into someone else?

And then there's this season's 2-part finale... Am I alone in feeling a tad cheated that, after a Dalek Season 1 Finale, and a Daleks vs Cybermen Season 2 Finale, Season 3 ends with millions of small robotic spheres decimating the planet? I mean, really, part of me just doesn't give a toss what happens in the last episode... I'd rather just skip to the next series and, hopefully, some decent stories.

No comments: