Sunday 12 August 2007

One of those days

Right now, I can't decide whether I want to set up to photograph some of my latest acquisitions, or just pull my bed out and snooze for a while.

The former would certainly be a grand idea, considering how far behind I'm getting (Music Label Soundwave arrived on Friday!), but the latter just feels so much more attractive right now. I don't even have the excuse that the light isn't good enough - despite some ominous weather reports and some very brief rain (I'm talking 'a couple of drops on my window' brief), the sun is shining quite nicely, and I have a good few hours before the light starts to trail off.

I'm feeling deflated again. Partly due to some bad news about a friend who's very sick, partly due to work, and partly because I really want to redesign my website before adding any more content.

On that front, I have a rough idea of layout, but no real idea on how I want to use it. Much of what I'm thinking would work better in frames, but I'm reluctant to go down that route. One way or another, I really want to know how I'm going to present this content before I take any more photos, because I'll need to repurpose what I've got as far as possible until I have time (and decent equipment, and enough space) to adequately redo things.

A few thoughts on ML Soundwave: He's pretty dinky. I was expecting small, but he's something like two thirds the size I was expecting, even having seen photos showing a size comparison to, for example, Gen 1 Soundwave. In MP3 player mode, he's just tall enough to accommodate the single AAA battery that powers him. Overall, he's very cool, and an excellent homage to a favourite from Gen 1. On the downside, they've done some very strange things to him to accommodate improved articulation - his legs, now that they have knees that bend the right way, look rather bland, the lower arms look too bulky for the upper arms, the head looks too cartoonish, and he's in serious need of a bit more decoration. His hands are a bit daft - three different fixed poses with ball jointed wrists rather than actual posable hands? Was that really the best they could do?

I've also had a hell of a time getting MiniSD cards for him. My usual supplier ran out and doesn't intend to continue that line, the high street price is about four times what they would charge, so I've ended up going back to another supplier. The price I've ended up paying is nothing to complain about, though... Technology, eh?

No comments: