Thursday 2 June 2011

Not So Much A Recurring Dream...

...As a recurring situation within a dream.

Imagine, if you will, a disparate group of people who meet in the home of one of the group. They're not friends, as such, but perhaps share a common interest... Though no-one may know what that is, necessarily. Inevitably, tensions arise between some members of this group. Some members may actually be dangerously insane.

On at least two occasions, I've found myself dreaming of just such a group. In that group, there is one guy who, for the most part, remains silent. Woe betide you, however, should you try to gain his attention, or if he engages you. The first time I dreamed of this group, I was on the periphery, and not really noticed. I don't remember who was the focus of his attention - none of the other characters really did much - but that attention was threatening, edging toward violence.

This time, however, he decided he liked the look of my (nondescript, Timex Expedition) watch, and removed it from my wrist. I objected, wanted it back and so, by way of 'compensation', he offered me a bracelet that could have been made from shark's teeth. I recalled that he'd mentioned at a previous 'meeting' that this bracelet had been a gift from his brother, so I demurred... surely it had sentimental value?

He got up and left the room, seeking "a second opinion", since he felt his offer was wholly appropriate and generous but, in 'the other room', I could hear him ranting, eventually reaching the conclusion that perhaps he should just kill me.

Naturally, at this point, I started weighing up my escape options. I'd have to pass by that room to reach the exit, then there was a long walk (or, more likely, flat-out run) down the road to properly escape. I was basically terrified (though outwardly behaving as if I couldn't hear any of the conversation going on in 'the other room'), certain in my belief that, while I didn't know this guy, based on my previous encounters, he was perfectly capable of flipping out to the extent that he might actually do someone physical harm.

Over a very basic wristwatch.

Just because he'd taken a fancy to it, or simply wanted to assert his superiority.

In the end, I just woke up, but was left feeling uncomfortable enough that I didn't want to go back to sleep.

I did, though... and then got up earlier than I have in a long time (except perhaps last Sunday), showered, did the washing up, then started my laundry.

And it's not even 9.30am

No comments: