Monday 20 September 2010

The "worse" that it could be...

It's a funny thing. I've had three jobs (technically two, I guess) and each one has ended in some kind of disaster. My first employer went bankrupt shortly after I'd transferred to another part of the same group. The entire group then faded from the world shortly after my unceremonious departure, though its founder is still going strong.

Now, having been voicing portents of doom about the office for the last few months following the announcement of Production redundancies, it looks as though my little part of the company could well be done for before January.

The current sales figures - halfway through the month - place us somewhere in the region of £120k south of where we should be.

That is a not inconsiderable amount, as a deficit.

It suggests that our new Publishing Director is really missing something... not least the 'passive resistance' of the Salespeople to some of her grand schemes. But, more than anything, it proves how seriously our paymasters have misjudged the London market, and the publishing of glossy lifestyle magazines in general.

This can't be good for the company... but, naturally, the Production Department is doing everything it can to get us closer to this month's target... if only we didn't have just one week - till Friday, really, as this month will be invoiced next Monday - to do it.

I popped over to my parents' house this evening, to retrieve a package that was delivered there. I now have a new selection of seriously cool t-shirts, including Groverfield, Science Is A Verb Now, Cogito Ergo Nom, and Clearly I Have Made Some Bad Decisions. That's my wardrobe sorted for the week...

Apparently my sister was quite complimentary about my cooking at the weekend... maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought... But my mother agreed that, yes, Salmon skin is a very good insulator.

No comments: