Tuesday 7 September 2010

Arrivals and such

Got home yesterday to find a 'We Called To Deliver' card which just happened to be a package from Hong Kong containing my Crossfire Explorer & Munitioner set. Naturally, with the tube strike today, there was no opportunity to go and collect it because, rather than leave it at the Post Office not five minutes down the road from my home, they decided to take it to a Post Office on Pinner Road, near North Harrow station. A long walk, a bus ride, or a very silly train journey away. Sensible.

That said, with the tube strike, I wouldn't even have had the opportunity to collect it from my local Post Office, because I had to leave for work far earlier than the Post Office opens.

And, on the subject of the strike, next time there's a problem with the Piccadilly Line, I must remember to disembark at Baker Street and get the Number 27 bus to work, from the stop just over the road from the station - takes a while, but it's far more efficient than changing onto the Circle/District Line bound for High Street Kensington. On a non-strike day, it should be a sensible enough backup route.

Work was reasonable... though the new boss wanted to push back the deadlines again. Only by two days, but even so, the top Accounts guy declined the request. Worse still, just making the request is going to make her performance this month seem that much more pathetic.

Hardly surprising: after taking an extra week last month, and just about hitting target because of our bi-annual schools special, the first few magazines out of the trap this month are looking awful. My first goes to press on Friday, and currently has 23 pages unsold.

Strangely, the later ones aren't looking quite so bad... or maybe not so strange considering the manager for Friday's mag is (a) completely chaotic and (b) on holiday till Friday.

Yes, you read that right. The magazine's manager is on holiday until the day the magazine goes to press. You can see how that's going to go, can't you?

Business as usual...

In other news, I was introduced to something called Pantoloc Control yesterday. Sounds like something one might wear to combat a weak bladder, but it's actually for acid reflux. Since I've had that quite bad lately, seemingly aggravated by my cough, I figured I'd give it a shot.

And, damn, if it hasn't helped with the cough as much as it has the acid. Perhaps I got it the wrong way round - it wasn't the cough aggravating my stomach problems as much as it was the stomach problems aggravating my throat. All that acid hanging around can't be good, after all...

No comments: