Saturday 4 September 2010

The Eyes Have It

During the week, I received a letter from my optician pointing out that I was due for a visit. Having failed throughout the week to phone and make an appointment, I decided to pop in directly today, on the off-chance and on the thin pretense that I wanted to go into Harrow anyway, and the optician was along that route, broadly speaking.

I think I must have splurged all my good luck for the day on that one visit, however. I got seen almost immediately (the optician had one customer already, and no bookings in the immediate future, so I went straight in when she'd finished), and it transpires that, yet again, there has been no discernible change in the quality of my eyesight in the last two years. I mentioned that, before my current pair of glasses, I'd been on much the same prescription for about 10 years, so it wasn't really a surprise to me. As the optician said, though, it's not often that happens. She did caution me that there might be a drop in my left eye by my next visit, and now I wish I'd clarified whether she meant a drop in eyesight or a drop in the strength of my prescription - her tone suggested the latter.

After that, I quickly grabbed myself some lunch (the Kentucky Jack, from a nearby KFC - actually a bit of a disappointment, but mainly because the chicken was bland and a little tough, so that'll be the Original Recipe a little overdone) before heading on into Harrow, and several rounds in disappointment in the three shops I wanted to visit in search of new games for my Wii.

Yes, they all had Metroid: Other M... but I was looking for the likes of Soul Calibur Legends to bolster my collection of terribly average beat-'em-ups, and anything else that might leap out at me... but not much did, either in Game, Computer Exchange or HMV. Not even anything to tickle my fancy in the DVD section in the last.

I should probably get back to writing lists of what I want, just to make shopping easier, but I tend to forget to take the lists when I go out anyway.

No comments: