Saturday 9 May 2009

Possible Service Interruptions

There's a distinct possibility that my computer may be dying.

I know, I know, I've been complaining about its speed (or the lack thereof) and general glitchiness for ages, but recently it's taken to crashing. Or it had... I don't trust it to keep going much longer.

It started with a blanking of the screen, and progressed rapidly to blanking the screen, showing a pair of scrolling green bars on the lefthand side of the screen and then restarting - not even into Safe Mode.

To be honest, it's been well behaved since then... but I'm backing things up regardless.

Which led me to another set of problems: My DVD writer is very particular about the discs it uses. I am convinced I've written to DVD-R and DVD+R, as well as DVD+RW... but when I bought a pack of 50 own-brand DVD-Rs from Staples some time ago, I didn't reckon on my computer refusing to acknowledge there was a disc in the drive, let alone a writable disc.

So I took them back, and exchanged for a pack of Verbatim discs... to much the same effect.

At this point, particularly in the light of the sales assistant asking if I was sure I wanted DVD-R rather than DVD+R, I decided to look up the specs of my drive... and, sure enough, it's not equipped to deal with DVD-R. Theoretically, DVD+R is sound... but the pack of DVD+Rs I got in the second exchange also fail to work - there's a 'problem writing to the disc' right at the start.

Today, I picked up a pack of 5 DVD+RWs, out of spite, and they work fine... But now I have 50 writable DVDs that I can't use, and can't face going back to Staples again...

On the subject of today, I popped over to Harrow to stock up on underwear - somehow I seem to have far less now I'm at the flat. Because I'm a moron, I didn't check what size I need before I left the flat, so I had to guess... and I got the wrong size. Still, slightly too large is better than slightly too small.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: