Tuesday 31 March 2009

Offline Blog #4

I knew I'd forgotten something.

Or rather, I knew I'd tried desperately to put something out of my mind and succeeded.

Today I had a meeting with some folks who are putting on a show and using us for extra publicity. I'd been forewarned, and had no idea why I was being pulled into it. Having sat through over an hour of meeting, I'm still none the wiser.

Well, perhaps not entirely true.

My previous experience with the sites stood me in some good stead, but the length of time I've been out of the loop counted against me. There were also things that the guy who used to run the websites did, that I'm not able to do (easily) myself, or that I'll have to defer to the IT folks who do the background stuff. I was, however, reasonably certain of what we can offer. While in the meeting, I was relying on bluff and confident silence more than thought (who actually manages to think in this kind of meeting anyway?) but, after the meeting, more of the ins and outs of the requirements started popping up in my memory, so when they started emailing me, I was able to answer more confidently.

Much of it will be going via the Editors anyway, so I really only need to worry about the technical crap that - supposedly - I'm very good at. The MD described me as a genius... Largely, I suspect, because he hasn't hit upon anything I'm no good at... yet...

Day after press on yesterday's magazine was a far more civilised affair than Friday's. The Sales team shifted their few remaining spaces promptly, and the only reason we weren't finished by midday was that the last ad took a while to come through from the client, and needed their logo adding to it.

We finished by about 1.30pm

After that, it was announced that Accounts would be invoicing April web ads tomorrow... When we'd only just started working on them today. These things need to be ironed out... Invoicing all web ads at the beginning of the month is more than a little ridiculous when the salespeople are still selling them into the second week of the month.

In other news, my Broadband is up and running at the flat (supposedly), so these last few posts will be up - dated correctly, but in one big hit - once I drag my computer and modem over to the flat.

I also popped over to the flat to measure up for the possibility of getting a large sofabed with chaise longue. Theoretically, there's enough room for my ideal choice, plus the computer desk, with enough room for the planned cabinet in the corner, and possibly a small table over by the window.

Now I just have to order the sofa.

On the way out, I noticed a possible cause for the problems with my front door: part of the lock arrangement had come unscrewed from the door frame. Once screwed back (after a couple of adjustments for fit), the door closes soundly, and the seal seems better. I'll have to keep an eye on that. If it keeps coming unscrewed, I'll have to call in the window people to fix it properly.

No comments: