Wednesday 18 February 2009

New Carpet...

It's laid, and it's wonderful.

It's a nice red, so the place looks warmer already. The vile beige on the walls almost looks orange (think peach white), so there's some improvement.

I was somewhat shocked by the state of the floor underneath the old carpet and underlay. Littered with screws, nails, cigarette butts... and the underlay was actually stuck to the hardboard in one large patch near the door.

Popped into the Estate Agent to get the details of the new Management Agent for the block, to see if I can get the hall ceiling/roof looked at. Having a leaky roof right by my fusebox ain't good. While the guy I need to speak to wasn't in the office today, I should be getting a call back tomorrow.

On the upside, I now have a load of books and most - if not all - of my DVDs moved in, along with some of the larger TransFormers. A few more runs and all the important stuff should be there, and I can probably technically move in... Though I really must make a start on the phone setup tomorrow.

While I was at the flat - just after the fitters arrived and got to work (about an hour late!) - I had a visit from a power company - neither of those that are my current supplier for gas or electricity. Although it struck me that he went from "I'm here canvassing" to "Sign here and we'll get you switched over to us" without seeming to go through any point in between, when I asked for an explanation, he was more than forthcoming, and the arrangement seemed like a better deal than I'm currently getting. Not only are the bills likely to be lower (anything would be lower than my last bill from EDF), but I get side benefits in the form of discounts from various shops.

The main sweetener to the deal was that my current suppliers, being based in Continental Europe, are charging their UK customers a bit of a premium, particularly in the areas in which they have a kind of monopoly. The supplier I switched to today (yes, I signed) won't be charging that premium.

Interesting, the way these things work...
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: