Friday 23 December 2011

I Could Kick Myself Sometimes

Considering how long I've been working with Photoshop (and PaintShop Pro), you'd think I'd have kept more of my layered .PSD files and suchlike... But, whenever I do digging in my archives, all I find is JPEGs and GIFs.

By and large, and in the grand scheme of things, this isn't a massive problem... I mean, if nothing else, anything I did back then I could do much better now... I still have all the original sketches from which I produced the final, colourised works in Photoshop (or PSP or, occasionally, if I was feeling masochistic, CorelDraw)... And yet it would be interesting to see how I did what I did about ten years (and... what, three or four computers?) ago, versus what I can do now.

I can't even remember now if my first PC was a top-of-the-range 486 or one of the early Pentiums. But that's another story.

The real bugger is that I have a fair few images lurking around at 10-year-old web resolutions (back when a high res monitor was still only 640x480), when I'm fairly certain the originals would have been much higher res. I've pretty much always had this thing about working at a high resolution, then downsampling the finished article...

...And then, it would seem, deleting the high resolution files...

...Probably to save on hard disk space, back when 120Mb was considered generous, and CD writers weren't exactly common or cheap.

Quite amazing, how times change... Now, 120Gb doesn't get you very far.

No comments: