Monday 11 October 2010

An Implication of Zombies

It's not rare for me to have dreams involving zombies. They tend to be set in some extrapolation of my old family home, which then frequently becomes something else entirely as the narrative progresses. In more recent years, my dream-self seems to have become wise to these undead shenanigens, and generally moves without fear through the hordes of monsters, safe in the knowledge that I will come to no harm.

The latest development did away with the zombies entirely, and focused on a group of people - eerily similar to myself, my sister and her husband, and an old schoolfriend of mine. We had holed up in an otherwise abandoned house (just round the corner from my parents place), with a pervading sense of dread to accompany the lack of light. Towards the end of the dream, my brother-in-law decided he was going to go outside - in the middle of the night - to prepare a car for the next part of our journey. I knew this was a bad thing, but was afflicted by dream-muteness... I kept thinking someone should go with him, because he wouldn't be able to look out for zombies while mucking around with the car, but I was also acutely aware that there were flesh-eating undead things lurching around outside, and that I didn't want any of us to be out there.

Strange, how not seeing any zombies in the dream made it that much more tense...

In other news, the medication I'm taking for my stomach problem has some interesting side effects. The most common - generally hitting mid-afternoon to evening - is that it induces a feverish state. My temperature goes up noticably, and I start feeling very unwell. I should probably check back in with my GP... but I want to see how it goes at least till the halfway point in the course.

No comments: