Sunday 5 December 2010

And, Once Again, London is Crippled by Snow

Except, just for a change, it wasn't. At least, not in my neck of the woods. In fact, most of London north of the Thames got away quite lightly - sure, people grumbled, but there was no particular disruption, either to trains or roads. South London wasn't so lucky... and the further south you tried to get, the worse it became.

As of now, it looks as though the snowy patch is over (for now)... and the Silent Hill fog lifted from my neighbourhood after lunch, leaving it looking as though we've just had a big rainstorm.

It's surprising how little effect the inclement weather had on work - almost everyone got in, almost all of them had little or no difficulty getting into work or home again... but those who were affected were very adversely affected. Even so, the Powers That Be decided to put back all our magazines by two days... triggering a huge battle between my boss and the guy who will be running Production from Norwich, as the last two of our magazines were pushed back till after our last day. Norwich's Lord of Production reckoned this would hammer our Termination Bonus (originally called a 'Loyalty Bonus', as it was for everyone who stayed to the end, only later developing miscellaneous caveats). My boss didn't like this, naturally, and so spoke to her boss, our local Publishing Director, and PD's boss, all of whom reckoned Lord of Production had no say in this.

He also, apparently, wanted the bonus paid in January, rather than on our last day... but there might be certain difficulties with that, considering our P45s would already have been returned. The uncharitable might suggest that he's trying to avoid paying the bonus...

In other news, one of my colleagues in Sales decided she wants to play Matchmaker for me. I'm not convinced it'll happen, but apparently this is 'something she does'. The story goes that, watching me walk past, she blurted out "he's quite cute... is he married?" and it all went a bit Jane Austin from there.

Another of my colleagues has decided to subscribe to one of my other blogs, pertaining to food. It's written in my usual style - not taking anything too seriously - and documents both successes and failures in the kitchen. I may have to hit her up for some recipes... not least her fairy cakes...

No comments: