Monday 23 October 2006

Birthday & Christmas Preparation

After work this evening, I met up with my sister for dinner. Also to pick up my mother's birthday present, which my sister has been looking after since Joust earlier in the year.

I'd actually forgotten all about it until she mentioned it in an email recently, suggesting that we meet up so I can take it back. That is, I dimly recalled purchasing a birthday present for my mother, but I couldn't remember what it was, where I'd got it, or where I'd hidden it. Just as well my sister hadn't lost it in her housemoving preparations. Phew.

This evening also served as a reminder that I've already got my sister's Christmas present. Not sure when my memory got this bad, but I guess I've had a lot of other stuff on my mind since the summer.

So anyway. We met up at Leicester Square, although she walked straight past me at first - I do have this awful habit of becoming invisible at all sorts of inopportune times - and we wandered around briefly - in the rain, neither of us with an umbrella between us - trying to find somewhere to eat. Chiquitos is the usual choice, but it was pretty full, with a half hour wait for a table. We were offered the run of the bar, with one of those "the lights flash when your table is ready" doohickies, but I didn't feel like visiting the bar... not least because I'm just getting over my umpteenth cold of the year. Next port of call was Bella Pasta, round the corner, which was also full. Wagamama presented itself, but I didn't fancy that when I got thinking about it... So we ended up traipsing off to the other nearby branch of Bella Pasta.

Aside from collecting the birthday present, it was a good opportunity to catch up on the progress of the move (not much), and whinge about my day at work (crap... Doing other people's work for them because they're lazy or stupid, getting frustrated by colleagues who don't know what they're doing, the usual), and tell her about the leaving do on Friday, and how it went terribly wrong.

The meal was good, even if the conversation was depressing.

Of course, now I have to be on the lookout for presents for the rest of the family to get me, but I'm off to the London Expo this coming weekend, and Memorabilia late next month, so I might pick something up there.

News from work, now I'm home, is that a few more of The Bints are officially leaving... though it's not officially official yet. Likewise unofficial is the impending departure of one of the biggest problems the company has, in terms of fucking up the money side of things. I don't think we've had one sad loss at work this year! That's saying something, considering the turnover of staff.

No comments: