Tuesday 21 May 2013

What the Taxman Giveth, the Taxman Taketh Away

So, having experience the catharsis of filing my tax return with minimal fuss, then the jubilance of receiving a nice rebate, it probably won't be a massive surprise that I have to pay some of it back.

Not back to HMRC, though... well, not exactly. My rebate was correct... this 'adjustment' is due to a shortfall in my National Insurance contributions, and that's all because of those employers of mine who didn't pay it for me.

As it turns out, it's just under a quarter of the rebate, which is a bit of a bugger. Let's face it, though, it could have been far worse... and at least this means my contributions for the year will be up to the correct level.

In other news, my current job will definitely be finishing in early June so, hopefully, I get some time to myself /with family/with my girlfriend around my birthday. It feels like a good time to be moving on, since there have been a few frustrations recently, and I'm about due for a holiday... Though there's always the chance I'll be called back. My CV is being circulated to the HR department as well as to other relevant managers, so repeat (temp) business seems like a foregone conclusion unless I get snatched up for another job elsewhere.

On that subject, and on a not very promising note, a new agency recommended to me by my former boss has not responded to my introductory email - not even to acknowledge it, let alone to arrange a meeting. I've signed up with several agencies over the years, and the only one to ever get me any work - so far - was the one that was pro-active about my application. Perhaps my expectations are way wrong, but I would tend to expect a halfway decent agency to set up an initial interview at the very least.

In other news, I'm approaching my 700th post... if all goes well (meaning 'if I complete one of my draft posts'), number seven-hundred will be something a bit special... if you're remotely interested in my opinions on Doctor Who.

No comments: