Tuesday 11 October 2011

Rootless Endeavour


Not too long ago, I woke up with a terrible toothache and, paying a visit to my dentist, learned that I would need a root canal operation.

The first stage of that operation was supposed to be today, and I had intended to attempt to dissuade the dentist from going through with it. After all, if I lose the nerve in that tooth, I'll never know if anything else has gone wrong until it's too late.

Pretty much her first question, before I'd even sat down, was about the results of the antibiotic she'd prescribed last time. When I told her the pain cleared up within a couple of days, and hadn't returned since, she decided against the root canal operation almost immediately. The X-ray had been "inconclusive" and, upon reflection, the fact that the problem tooth is flanked by other teeth which, while also fractured, were not experiencing any pain, suggested that there was no need for anything as drastic as a root canal.

Phew.

So, instead, I had a mold taken of my lower jaw, and will be fitted for a mouth guard next time. These apparently wear down over time (and can end up being basically eaten, she reckoned), so I get to keep the mold of my teeth so that replacements can be made when each guard wears out.

On another note, my 'Thought for the Day': What kind of world are we living in when Imperial Leather is a cheaper brand than Radox?

No comments: