Thursday 10 February 2011

I can haz lybree card?

More than a week ago, I finally got my act together enough to take the very short walk down to my local library and attempt to sign up. The list of requirements seemed bewildering as it was explained to me, but it boiled down to proof of address and proof of signature. Harrow, it seems, takes its library services very seriously.

And, as it turns out, membership of any Harrow library gives you access to them all. Borrow from one, return to another. The only caveat that stood out was one which is unlikely to affect me in the least: 2 hours per day of free internet access at any Harrow library means two hours at any one library per day. One cannot, for example, use one's two hours at one library, then move on to the next for another two hours.

So. I have a library card. I now don't have to buy books I'm not sure I'd want to keep (what can I say? I don't like throwing them away or passing them on... once they're in my personal library, they are there to stay), so that probably means I can actually give some Stephen King a go, just to see how he makes things scary...

Spent a good chunk of the day assisting in some web design and, with any luck, should be getting the darned thing uploaded tomorrow... We shall see. Some delicate negotiation may be required between the ISP and the domain registration folks who, for some reason, have expressed some reluctance to allow use of the registered domain name by the ISP for something like 60 days. Not quite sure what that's all about... I had access to the one I bought immediately.

Not much else to report, thusfar...

No comments: