Friday 30 January 2009

Unexpectedly...

While I've been told many a time that the new manager on one of my magazines has always been very good on her other one, I never really believed it until today.

She's a bit of a personality and, when she arrives for her other magazine's press days, she tended to do so loudly... and behave like a twit for the rest of the time she spends at our office.

Having now worked with her on a press day - technically the day after her press day (poor sales, blah blah) - I found her totally different. Perhaps it's the other one that causes the noise... even though it's the manager who starts it all off... Weird.

Press day was just like every other month, but the nitpicking started at 9am rather than 2pm, so we were finished by about 1-1.30pm, once the manager arrived to clamp down on the pointless fiddling and requests for unnecessary changes.

One of the salespeople decided to pick a fight with my boss... Always a mistake, but she compounded her error by then refusing to accompany her into a quiet office to 'discuss things', forcing my boss to deal with it out in public.

The thing with my boss is that she won't pull rank. Even though I'm more senior than this Salesperson, let alone her, she would never launch into "I'm a Senior Manager... You Must Do As I Say"-type ranting. She could, quite easily, but she won't.

So after batting back and forth a few times, she made a point of speaking to the Sales Manager in question once she'd arrived, to ensure this constant attitude problem and lack of regard for the huge favour we were doing them is dealt with by the proper channels.

Bizarrely, it turns out that the previous manager basically thinks she has a screw loose... Shame he didn't warn the incoming manager.

By the time she arrived at the office, I'd already fired off an email complaining about the nitpicking rather than signing-off of ads. To her credit, she dealt with it straight away (and yet quite subtly). Once everything was done, she assured me that next month will be better.

Yes, I know they always say that, but I got the impression she's at least going to try... and quite possibly come closer to succeeding than some.

It'd help if they actually sold to deadline...
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: