Saturday 2 August 2008

It's Auto Assembly Weekend, And I'm Not In Birmingham

It would appear that I'm making a habit, this year, of not being at TransFormers conventions.

Granted, BotCon was by choice.

This one, Auto Assembly 2008... I'd registered myself and a friend, the friend arranged the accommodation and was going to be driving.

Then she came down with 'flu. And I mean real, proper influenza, not 'man flu' or any kind of exaggerated sniffle. She went to work sporadically during the week, and seemed to be slowly improving by Wednesday but by Thursday (having spent most of the day in the office on something she'd hoped to complete in a couple of hours) she was relapsing, and didn't go to work at all on Friday.

So. Bugger.

The shame of it is that the pair behind AA weren't able to put on the show last year - when the movie came out and interest would have been astronomical - so it was predicated to be a pretty massive affair (possibly European record-breaking attendance), and Hasbro themselves were bringing along a special display. That's Hasbro, makers of TransFormers toys, and previously uninterested in Auto Assembly.

Guest of honour is Dan Gilvezan - the voice of G1 Bumblebee - and there was to be a special display of every Bumblebee ever... Or should that be "3very 8umb13b33 EVAR!!!!11!!1!".

I'd been really looking forward to this weekend but, frankly, 3 hours plus of driving each way would have been torturous for someone recovering from flu.

As an alternative/distraction, I'm intending to go out today and do a bit of shopping (loosely speaking, for the flat), then pop over to the flat and switch the power on so that, by Monday, I'll be able to store things in the fridge.

Monday is when the damp is being treated, and when I get a proper, grown-up gas meter, rather than the expensive pre-pay card meter that's already there.

I should probably also measure up my display cabinets and mark out where I could put them (or something similar) in the lounge/bedroom, as necessary. I'll ideally need to find a home for enough display space for my entire collection (bar the parts I'm considering flogging) with some room to expand, and a nook or cranny to place a desk, because I'd rather not have my computer in my bedroom at the flat.

No comments: