Sunday 20 July 2008

Measuring up

I'm beginning to feel quite positive about this new flat.

Not that I didn't have a good feeling about it to begin with, but the reality of having bought it, having made it mine to move into whenever I like, left me a little shellshocked.

Today, my folks and I popped back there and started measuring up - nice and accurate, thanks to my father's ultrasound measuring device - so that we can start planning furniture and the like. My mother is perhaps a little too keen to start playing about in her interior designer software, so I'll have to make sure the end result is both functional and something that reflects me rather than her, but I'm quite glad of the assistance.

Much of what's already there, furniture-wise, will be adequate for the time being. The sofa in the lounge is - conveniently - a sofa bed. I will need to clean it out (having opened it out to see what it was like, I discovered popcorn, pistachio nuts and a used cotton bud in the inner workings) but it's a decent enough sofa bed. Not sure how useful it'll be when the place is more fully furnished, but I'll cross that bridge when I come it it.

The table and chairs, while nice enough, are a little redundant considering the amount of space I'll have to play with. I shall aim to have some kind of office space in the lounge, so a proper desk would be more appropriate.

The bedroom contained a wickerwork-look chest of drawers, a matching wardrobe, and a canvas 'wardrobe' thing. The chest of drawers now sits in the bathroom, a reasonable size for storing various bathroom trappings.

The kitchen has a washer/dryer, microwave and oven with hob, along with a fridge-freezer. My mother suggested a dishwasher but, frankly, I don't trust them to do a good job based on the performance of the one at home or the one at work.

All told, I'm quite pleased with it... I just need to figure out how much of my TransFormers collection I can safely move in ;)

No comments: