Thursday 3 July 2008

Adventures of a different kind...

So it looks as though my flat purchase is proceeding well.

I took the day off work today to visit my bank and transfer my deposit (or part thereof, 10% of the purchase price) into my currant account so that I could hand a cheque to my solicitor.

This turned out to be a rather more complicated process than it should have been, largely due to a miscommunication between my solicitor and I. When we'd last spoken, he had instructed me to sign the contract and return it to him along with a cheque for the deposit. I asked if he meant the whole deposit (since I'm putting up quite a chunk of my own money for this flat), and he replied that he only wanted 10%.

So I'd trotted into the bank and asked for an amount equal to 10% of my deposit to be transferred between my savings account and my current account, before popping down the road to sign the contract and write out the cheque.

When I handed over the cheque to the secretary (as the soliticor had popped out for lunch), she seemed worried that the amount of the cheque seemed rather small. I explained that I'd confirmed with the soliticor that I should be handing over a cheque for 10% of the deposit, but she still seemed concerned. Lo and behold, when the solicitor arrived back at the office, he indicated that it should have been 10% of the purchase price.

Back I went to the back, explained the misunderstanding to one of the staff, and had the remaining amount transferred between accounts. With a printed confirmation of the transaction in hand, I returned to the solicitor, tore up the old cheque, and wrote a new one.

...And then found I was supposed to return all the enclosures (lots of documentation about the flat) along with the contract and cheque.

By this time, it was getting close to my solicitor's next appointment, so I had to dash home, stuff everything back into the envelope, and dash back to the solicitor's office. I overheard as I was leaving that his next appointment was already late...

Today also, I received the 2008 TransFormers Collectors Club Membership Figure, Topspin. Based on the helicopter mold from Energon's Bruticus Maximus gestalt, it's made out of opaque red plastic, and a mixture of translucent red, grey and blue. I now have all the limbs (and have worked out how to transform them into limb mode, even though the provided instructions do not explain this), so I'm looking forward to next year's - the torso part, based on Energon Barricade, coincidentally the only Energon gestalt torso part I don't own. We are told there will be a new head mold. We are told the combined super robot will be a 'Prime'. It should be pretty darned cool.

No comments: