Saturday 16 August 2008

Making Room(s)

Having popped down the road this morning to get my new passport photos sorted, this afternoon, I ventured to MFI with my mother to start checking out furniture in person and getting the rooms planned out.

While the first port of call was the kitchen display (I walked in, looked at the one right in the entrance, loved it, pointed at it, and said "That one!"... but later changed my mind having seen some of the others), we looked at the bathrooms (I have a very roomy bathroom, so I can probably do quite a lot there) and bedrooms before settling to order some bedroom furniture (minus bed). I'm having some nice sliding-door wardrobes with lots of space-saving gadgetry, but we ordered 2 sets of wardrobes (frankly, quite excessive except as extra storage space) and it turned out when my mother rechecked her measurements that there's only room for one wardrobe. She'll be heading back to MFI during the week to cancel one of them... Good old 7-day cool-off period.

She feels it's a waste of space to have nothing there, but we shall see. I'm sure I'll figure out what I really need there.

So, I have one wardrobe, a chest of drawers, a bedside table (minus bed) and a spinny storage unit/mirror on their way... Due to arrive just after my 2-week holiday (spinny thing sometime after, due to delays with stock), but I'm sure I can take time off if necessary.

We need to get the floors sorted out before that stuff arrives, or it'll be rather pointless setting it all up, but my folks reckon they can make a start on that during the coming week. I'm intending to have wood flooring in the hall and bedroom, laminate in the bathroom and kitchen, and carpet in the lounge.

Of course, it's not all going to happen immediately... Quite the opposite, even though the furniture I ordered today worked out at about a third of its list price thanks to a sale. My guess is it'll be one room at a time, over the course of a few months, once the windows are sorted.

Fine by me.

No comments: