Thursday 22 February 2007

"Inertia...

...is the property of an object to remain constant in velocity unless acted upon by an outside force."

Lately, I feel as though inertia is the only thing getting my through a day at work: I arrive in the office, sit down to work, and I don't stop working till it's done. That's my day. Every day.

It's rather depressing to think that I used to enjoy my work, but now it's just a way of filling eight hours of my day.

So much of it now is just fire control, because the salespeople somehow manage to sell to clients who have been blacklisted by Accounts (as in, they didn't pay their bill, we took them to court, they won, we lost money). I didn't sign up to be an accountant, but head office does not see the need to employ sufficient Accounting staff when Production can be pushed into monitoring debt, and when the salespeople can be forced to collect on those debts.

The top dogs in this company must believe Production staff are sorely underutilised, if we can double as accountants and run a vast website made up of multiple feeds from other companies all over London. Never mind that some Production departments regularly work till midnight on press days. We're obviously not busy enough.

I'd like to say it wouldn't seem so bad if it weren't for the idiots we do have in Production (largely inherited, rather than employed by choice), but that's probably not true.

No comments: