Thursday 25 April 2013

End of the Ant-ocalypse?

(With grateful thanks to my girlfriend for assistance with the title!)

While I haven't seen a single (live) ant inside my home since Tuesday evening, I thought it best to play it safe and call in a professional, to ensure my home is secure against returning ants. Fortunately, the first result in my Google search for such professionals was a company based in London, in whose catchment area I reside. Furthermore, they were able to fit me in this very afternoon, so I was able to quickly arrange a half-day off work so that I'd be home for the visit.

While it happened later than expected, the visit was fairly brief and preparing for the visit highlighted a few things that could possibly do with repairing - such as the gaping hole in the outside wall where the waste pipes come out.

Supposedly, this dusting with power and squeezing of gel at strategic points in my kitchen and bathroom should be enough to keep ants under control for three months, surely enough to get me through the summer.

I say "to keep ants under control" because the measures do not prevent ants returning, they simply ensure that those which return take poison back to the nest... Which might not even be in my flat. The technician told me that they tend to stay near a water source, rather than a food source, so the invasion might be the sign of a leak. Again, this might not even be in my flat.

Still, this is a load off my mind... Hopefully things will start to get back to normal round here.

For a given value of 'normal'.

No comments: